Robert Barr

???? How is that possible? Where did the heat go?

I had this problem a year ago, and that's how I found the problem: My
water was suddenly ferociously hot when I'd shower. The short feeds
through what would be the neutral side (bypassing the thermostat).

I'd get just a little bit of discharge when I opened the T&P valve
manually, so I guess it was just on the verge of overpressure or overheat.

You could hear the localized boiling just by standing next to the water
heater.

What limited it to
30 amps?

I was wondering the same thing. It's not a dead short, but very very
low resistance.

Colbyt