top gear

Mark wrote:

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:27:33 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

Hi

I have a 10 year old Ford Escort with 92,000 miles on the clock. It's
served me well but I need to get another 12 months/15,000 miles out of
it before I replace it. Over the last 10,000 miles the gearbox has
started to whine, nothing major but the frequency is particularly
annoying, especially at motorway speeds. Is there any additive that
would make an improvement or have I got to live with it? A friend
suggested "molyslip", anyone tried this?
Thanks

Try a heavier oil in the box

OK, so how do I get the old oil out? There's no drain plug on this
model???

siphon?

Buy a new g/box sump gasket and remove sump to change oil. Use heavier gear
oil.

From new, the gear oil should be dropped after 2K miles and replaced with
Mobil 1 fully synthetic gear oil. Replace every 2nd service, that is approx
every 2 years in most cars. After approx 25k miles add Slick 50 gearbox
treatment at each g/box oil change. The transmission will remain like new
for nearly all the life of the car.

From new use Mobil 1, or similar, fully synthetic engine oil, and change as
per makers recommendations. The oil can go longer, so it gives you leeway on
service intervals. No one has a service 9K miles on the dot. No need to use
the likes of Slick 50 in the engine if fully synthetic oil is used from new.

Using the above your engine and transmission will remain smooth, and new
sounding and feeling, for all its life. The only noises will be from the
water pump, alternator, power steering pump and a/c compressor and any worn
belts

Slick 50 do an excellent power steering pump fluid. This is proper fluid not
an additive. This is also well worth using after about 50K miles.