petek

Thanks Christian, and Tim also.

I'll try turning off the main stop cock a bit first (forget to mention
that the banging comes from all taps not just the washbasin), then if
that doesn't work I'll try the isolating valves on the basin taps.
Don't fancy the arrestors as they cost 10 quid each and presumably you
would need one near to every tap in the system. I don't think resonance
is the problem but I'm reluctant to change the flex tails in any case
- we've got the kitchen to do next job and I will probably used them on
the kitchen sink also as thay make the plumbing so much easier for an
amateur! I'll let you know how we get on.