Mike Reed

I don't know why I'm gratifying your sarcasm, but I've shot 5000
framing nails in a single project. I've shot 2000 15 guage finish nails
doing trim work. I've only shot a couple hundred 18 guage brad nails,
but I understand how the stuff works. The funny thing is that you don't
need to use a nail gun even once to read the manual and know that your
advice is incorrect and dangerous.

I'm not suggesting that anyone try to bump-fire to toe-nail. See my
post below, where I said "With a bump-fire gun," which is talking about
the gun's trigger configuration, not it's usage.

You are absolutely wrong, from a safety standpoint, with respect to
fighting the gun's recoil. That is dangerous, and if you have a
bump-fire trigger, you're going to double fire much more often when
fighting recoil.

Fighting the recoil will certainly drive the nail deeper, but that's
not my point. The point is to get the nail into the wood, and to
prevent nails from getting into your body. I'm not trying to attack
you, but your post condones dangerous behavior, so I want to correct it
for a new user of nail guns. Nail guns are extremely dangerous tools,
and ignoring the manufacturer's safety warnings is, well, ignorant.

-Mike

Leon wrote:
"Mike Reed" wrote in message
oups.com...
Leon wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

snip
Also if you let the gun recoil the nail will not go in all the

way.

This is frightening advice, especially if the user has a bump-fire
trigger.

Maybe after shooting thousands of nails you will better understand

what I
said. The OP is shooting the gun to memic the operation that Norm

uses as
he to nails pieces of wood. Seldom does Norm shoot repeadedly as is
indicated when when bump-firing a gun. When shooting a single nail

at a
time in a specific spot you should absolutely hold the gun down to

firmly
enough to disengauge the safety and keep the gun from moving.

Additionally
if you are laying the gun over on its side or it is being used

upside down
more effort is requiared to keep the gun from recoiling and not

prolerly
settin g thenail.
Bumb firing is a procedure more often used when framing or roofing

and you
need to get a bunch of nails driven in a short period of time and the

appearance is not a factor. Typically when bump firing you let the

weight
of the gun bring the gun down onto the surface, read that as a

controlled
drop, while always holding the trigger in. When the gun safety

bottoms
with the momentum of the gun mass behind it the gun fires and tends

bounce back. Not always does the nail set perfectly.

With a bump-fire gun, double fires /will/ result from fighting
recoil. The gun should be able to sink a nail/brad with no problem
using only it's inertial mass.

Here's an exerpt from the Porter Cable brad nailer saftey

instructions:
http://img20.exs.cx/img20/6287/recoil3xh.jpg

-Mike