petek

Default Banging noise from water pipes

This is my first attempt at posting a question so apologies in advance
if I make a mistake or offend anyone!

My son has recently purchased a small Victorian terraced house. He has
had the central heating overhauled, and a condensing combi fitted by a
reputable local plumbing firm. While they were doing the job we asked
them to disconnect the bathroom washbasin and fit 2 tails with
isolating valves so that the washbasin could be removed and replaced
later after we had the wall behind replastered and tiled. This was done
and we got on with the replastering and tiling. When we came to refit
the basin, we decided to move it along the wall about 18 inches as this
would give more space in the bathroom. I turned the water off at the
main stopcock in the cellar and extended the pipework using plastic
15mm pipe, push on fittings and flexible tap connectors with isolating
valves. We then turned the water back on and all was well, no leaks!
Unfortunately we now get a banging noise whenever we turn off either
the hot or cold tap. I understand this is some sort of pressure wave
travelling back down the pipes which are probably poorly fixed at a
location somewhere under the floor, and are probably caused by the
relatively higher pressures in the combi system (but I don't remember
the banging occurring after the combi was installed and before we had
refitted the basin) . To avoid taking up all the floorboards and trying
to trace the poor pipe fixing, can we just reduce the pressure by
turning the main stopcock off a bit? If we do this will it cock up the
combi boiler?

TIA
Petek