Deke

"TP" wrote in message
Thanks Deke. The comment you made of "check the level and
condition of the cooling liquid". Can I buy replacement cooling
liquid?

Yes. Should a non-qualified person try to put more in the tubes? NO!
Thats something that should be left to a qualified tech, period. While you
have the screen off,
plug the set back in, and turn it on. Look into the crts
(yes, they will be bright) and you'll be able to see any discoloration or
garbage floating in the cooling liquid.
If theres nothing there, liquid is clear, smile, turn the set off, unplug
it, and start your cleaning.

BTW, your set has a solid glass mirror. I seem to remember Zenith sets from
about that time period that were a bitch to get the screen back on, had
snap-on type lips to them. If your set has this type lip, put some dish
soap around the edge, it'll snap back on easily. I believe they did this in
a futile effort to keep dust, bugs, etc out of the light box. Didnt work.
Most of them are now sealed with a foam type tape.
Which doesnt work very well either.
Most of the screens, IIRC, had "hangers" along the top, you took the screws
out along the bottom (remove the speaker grill, you'll see them), then lift
up. Kinda like changing storm windows, circa 1950. Good luck.

I'll work on carefully getting the screen off to see
which type of mirror we have.

TP

Deke wrote:
"TP" wrote in message

I need some advice on cleaning and adjusting my Zenith 55 inch
rear projection TV. It’s about 5 years old and we haven’t done
anything to it, but turn it on and watch.
Cleaning seems straight forward, blow out the dust vacuum up
the mess. Are there any cleaning sprays that could be used?
Should I use non alcohol products to clean the lens?
Could I setup a mirror and adjust the image from behind?

Thanks
TP

Never, NEVER, remove the top part of the back of a projo TV. Thats

where
the mirror is. DO NOT remove the top part of the back of a projo TV.
As to cleaning it, its done from the front of the set, by removing the
screen. Cleaning is best done using warm water and a bit of dishwashing
liquid, a very soft sponge wrung almost dry (NO DRIPS!), then wiping

with
newspaper. A soft bristle brush is handy also, for removing
small dead bugs from awkward places. Canned air, and/or a small vacuum
cleaner will also help.
Keep in mind that some mirrors are what they call first surface mirrors,
that means that the silvering is on the side youre cleaning, not on the
back, like a regular mirror. Scratch it badly, and its toast. Also

some
sets dont have a glass mirror, but instead have a sheet of tightly
stretched mylar.
If you cant figure out how to get the screen off, you shouldnt be trying

clean it. If you do manage to get the screen off, DO NOT try to take

the
screen itself apart with out some serious markings as to how to put it

back
together EXACTLY. Same goes for the lenses on top of the CRTs.

Cleaning
time (I do mine once a year, usually in the fall) is also a good time to
check the level and condition of the cooling liquid.
If yours hasnt been cleaned in 5 years, and you manage to clean it

without
destroying it, you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Dust, cooking

smoke,
and cigarette smoke
take a terrible toll on picture quality. Good Luck!