Bernd

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
Motorcycle chains should be up to the power requirements. Motorcycles
with considerably more power use chain or belt drives. If you're not
in
possesion of the sprockets, I'd suggest considering the motorcycle
belt
drives as being less maintenence headache over time - they do need to
be
well-aligned to begin with, but they stretch less (thus require
adjusting less) and attract a lot less dirt & grime to themselves. The
inexpensive and practical approach to that is probably to drop by a
M/C
junkyard - new prices tend to be a bit shocking.

Are these belts cogged by any chance? Also do you have any rough
dimensions as to width of belt. I had forgotten that the Harley uses
belts, right?

Another (inexpensive, junkyard) approach would be to slap in a second
automotive (or M/C) transmission, driven from the first one - gives
the
ability to change your ratios easily if you guess wrong, since it's a
prototype.

Don't know if your familar with the VW tranny, but the motor mounts to
it in the usall way. But the final drive is also in the transmission. No
drive shaft to attach another tranny. I had thought of this but is very
difficult to do. I should take a picture of the tranny sitting on the
frame you you can see what it looks like. All I need to do is get all
the junk off of it the has acumulated on it over the last several
months. Since it's going to be a nice warm weekend here in NY, I might
just clear things out and take a picture and post it.

Thanks Larry for the info on the possibility of using a belt drive.
Hadn't thought of that.

Bernd