The Chairman

Default Diatomaceous earth pool filter: How often to clean?

Hi all,

I have a swimming pool with a diatomaceous earth filter. I have heard that
you have to clean the filters twice a year, but I find myself cleaning it
about 4 - 5 times a year. The symptoms that make me clean it: The Kreepy
Krawly stops moving, and the pressure on the filter is about 10 lbs. more
than when it is freshly cleaned.

Believe me, it's a chore. Does anyone here have experience with these, and
is there some maintenance that I am not doing that is making my filter gunk
up more than usual? I try to keep the pool clean, although sometimes it
gets a little green in the winter months before I take care of it.

Thanks for your advice,

Ryan