Patriarch

wrote in :

I have a 12"DeWalt planer that's just taken the edge off it's spare
set of blades so now I need to sharpen them. Do I need to remove them
or is there a gizmo that enables you to do it with the blade in
position?

With my planer (Ridgid TP1300), one of the things that comes from removing
the blades from the cutter head is the opportunity to clean the resinous
gunk off of them, and the cutter head. This alone gave a better, smoother
cut in the figured walnut I was trying to thickness.

The blades for mine indicate that they are not suited to resharpening. I
tried honing a set, with 600 grit wrapped around a block, with only
marginal improvement. It was a 'thrifty' experiment, as there are still
two sets, sealed, in the tool drawer.

I'd count on at least pulling the blades to clean them up. And maybe work
up a wooden blade holder to facilitate the honing process.

Patriarch