The Natural Philosopher

Simon Langford wrote:

Hi,

I've recently had a 3-11 kW woodburning stove installed in our kitchen.
It's basically free-standing with a flue going up next to the wall and
out through the roof. The back of the stove is probably only about
3"-4" away from the wall, and the plaster on the wall has started to
crack quite badly. When you tap it, it sounds a bit loose and hollow.

The stove was installed very recently (end of November) and the
installer said it might need some heatproofing, but we "could always do
that later if needed".

So now I'm thinking we'll need to do something before the wall crumbles
and comes away - is that likely to happen? If I put some tiles on the
wall will that stop the problem? Do I need special tiles, or special
adhesive/grout?

I'm hoping I won't have to take the existing plaster off and start
again. The installers are coming back again this week to fix the
leaning chimney and do a better job of the bodge they made where the
flue goes through the ceiling. Can I get them to fix it as part of the
original job on the grounds that they should have known that the plaster
would crack?

Sorry if a similar question has been asked before -- I did search with
google for similar problems...

Thanks,

Simon.

Th easy route is to whack up some heatproof board - asbestos replacement
stuff. Gypsum and glass strand. Multiboard and masterboard are two names
that come to mind.

If you paint it, it will need to be heatproof paint.

Other possibilites are tiles and metal sheets or plates.

At least you don;t have opne gartes ti cintend with - we've just split
an expesniove cast iron fireback from bottom to top due to thermal
stresses..