Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick smith
"
I'm sure I'm missing something... surely fitting these masks any problems -
if I have to continually bleed a radiator then I would look for where air is
getting into the system - with one of these fitted I'd never know.

Peter

Also will bleed out any gases produced that are not soluble in water.
I've got one on one of our systems - not sure how good it is though.
Nick
They are sometimes necessary because at the position of the T where the open vent comes off there is a slight negative pressure which prevents the air in the system from escaping at this point while the pump is running. This can cause a build up of air which eventually leeds to steam. The old way of dealing with this was quite effective, it was to put a T one size larger than the pipe size at this point, i.e. a 28mm T for 22mm pipes. The expansion so caused allows the air to escape during normal operation. There is no benefit to leaving the air in your system so you can blead it through a rad vent that I can think of. You always get gas created anyway, you don't need your radiators to be telling you that. Let it go free!