Joseph Meehan

Beachcomber wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:42:25 GMT, "toller" wrote:

120 plus or minus 5%.

There are many stories about where the other values come from; I
haven't heard one that sounds credible.

A lot of residential outlets will measure 125 V. The trend over the
years has been to higher voltages as it is more efficient.

110 Volts originated with the original Edison systems where the
voltage supplied was 110 VDC. The reason he picked this voltage was
a compromise between safety and efficiency and the ability to match a
suitable incandescent lamp filament with a useful life expentancy and
a suitable output level in lumens. Minimizing excessive voltage drop
and the cost of expensive copper conductors was also a consideration.

When AC replaced DC, the 110 voltage stayed the same. In the 1950's
this increased to 120 volts. Many devices were still rating stamped
110v. 115v. or 120v.

Beachcomber

You know I remember it being 110V, but I could not remember when it
changed or why. Thanks for the history. I was there in the 50's and just
old enough to know it was 110V.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math