Gunner

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:28:31 -0600, "Thomas Allemani"
wrote:

Thanks Stan :]
wrote in message
roups.com...

Thomas Allemani wrote:
Greetings : I am "breaking the glaze" on an engine and I have light

cutting
oil here but no "honing" oil. Went to the local auto parts shops and

got a
blank stare from most when I asked for honing oil. The napa store can

sell
me a 55 gal drum of it. Dont need that much, for 1 engine, Sooo= my

question
is can I use light cutting oil for honing the engine?
And whats the difference? A machanic told me they used # 10 motor oil

for
this in the shop he worked in. But I thought to ask this group before

start anyway. Any information would be appericated, Thanks Tom.

If you use one of the "cluster of grapes" type of hones, you need to
use the specific honing oil that the manufacturer recommends or the
abrasive balls will disintegrate. If you're just using a hone with
standard long stones, light cutting oil should work, it's just needed
to keep the stones from plugging up and keep the work cool, use
liberally.

Stan

Most of the guys around these parts simply use kerosene or more
commonly...WD-40.

Gunner

"Gunner, you are the same ridiculous liberal f--k you ever where."
Scipio