Paul Barker Paul Barker is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
I have acted upon the advice given here and injected Fernox into a radiator - which although a little more expensive saves me bending my knees too much. The thought of fiddling with hose to the outlet pipes is not an easy one nowerdays. Hence the method used.

At first the boiler went very quiet, but now a week later is getting noisy again - I am tempted to buy another cartridhe of Fernox as on the package it says a very noisy boiler may require 2. (Even tho' I would noy have described mine as 'very noisy'. Another £22.73 seems reasonable if I get a 'cure'. But who knows - perhaps I will just go the extra dosh.

Conrad
All these additives worry boiler manufacturers. Less is best. I know you find it hard but I would drain it down flush it through drain again fill again if you must add an inhibitor but better check the ph, which should be 7 in your case, in the case of a cast iron heat exchanger it wants to be a little more acidic. If ph too acidic add inhibitor accordingly until it is 7.

As to your problem, you could while it's drained down fit a new pump head wouldn't do any harm anyway.

If you're an additive freak, many people are experiencing good silencing benefits with washing up liquid, and good cleansing effect from dishwasher tablets. Do it at your own risk.

The greatest benefit you can diy for your central heating is drain it down flush and refill more often than every 23 years.