Jag Man

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello-

I have a single-floor ranch style house and would like to install a
couple of security lights on the front and back of the house. Most

of
the instructions I read for installing security lights begin with

the
words "Remove the existing fixture" which I do not have. Anyway, I

went
up to the roof and unless I shrink down to my size at roughly age 6,
there is no way I am going to get any wiring box between the roof

and
the eave top from the roof side.

Right now I'm thinking my best option is to cut out a roughly 1'x2'
section of the eave from the *BOTTOM*, nail a ceiling fixture box to
one of the exposed studs (with the appropriate amount of wire
attached), cut the appropriate hole and reattach the eave to the

studs.

Question:
Is there a patently obvious and easier way to do this that I am
missing? Has anyone tried this before and found an easier way?
Thanks and Regards,

Roger

I'm not an electrician, but I did mine myself on a So. California
ranch style.
I drilled through from the outside, then poked a length of steel
electrical
conduit (not flex) from the outside. It was long enough to reach a
place in
the attic that I could work. I pulled wires up through the wall from
an
existing light switch, and fed through the conduit after applying a
little
lubricant made for wire pulling. The outside end of the conduit is
attached to a junction box, mounted on the outside where the conduit
comes through. There is then a short waterproof flex conduit that goes
the light fixture. The conduit end in the attic is fastened to a
rafter (or is
it a joist?). I guess I should have attached a junction box at that
point,
but didn't see the point. I did remove the sharp edge so the wire
would
not chafe.

Ed