Simon Stroud

"in2minds" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Here's another one for the assembled experts ...
I've got one joist that's been cut short and then attached to a
trimmer in order to get round a soil stack - but I want to remove the
trimmer as part of some building work. I plan to screw & glue the
extension timber to the side of the existing joist, are there any
rules on how much overlap, etc?
The joists are about 195x48, it's the joist nearest the wall, it'll
be about 40mm too short when the trimmer is removed.

... that should be 400mm!

overlap should be minimum 26", use 2 suitably long coach bolts with
washers (I use the square type) and put star washers (not sure of the
technical term but the builders merchant knew what I was on about)
between the 2 joists, one bolt 4" in from either end

this order...
bolt, washer, joist, star washer, joist, washer, nut

LJ

I think those "star washers" are called timber connectors, like this:

http://www.strongtie.co.uk/catalogue...p?fam=4&cat=56

(that was the first site I could find with a picture).

When our loft conversion was done they were supposed to fit those in the
several places where multiple joints were bolted next to each other. They
didn't bother and by the time I noticed and complained it was too late to
take everyting out (or maybe they just lied and said they'd fitted them - I
can't exactly/would rather not remember). And they didn't do the nuts up
more than finger-tight either. And being coach bolts with only a certian
amount of thread they had to fit big piles of washers under the head and nut
so that they didn't run out of thread when "tightening" them - think they
only had one length of coach bolts and couldn't be bothered to get
correct-length ones.

Anyway it hasn't all fallen down yet. Hopefully if you do the job better
than that then yours will be fine.

Regards,
Simon.