R Kannan

Jim Erickson wrote:

R Kannan wrote in message
Hi,

I noticed that the sump pump in my house seems to be running every 1.5
hrs even when there is no rain. When I checked the sump, I found that
there seemed to be some flow into the sump from one of the two pipes
draining into it. How can I find out where the water is getting drained
from?

Any help is appreciated.

Couple of things come to mind from your post. Type of soil, location
of home in reference to other homes, proper water drainage away from
foundation, high water table, short-cycling the disharge water back to
foundation wall, check valve on discharge pipe.

Thanks for your help.

The soil is clay probably holding up more water. The home is NOT at a lower
level compared to the nearby houses.There is a gradual slope down of the
grade away from the house. I checked the sump pump discharge which is to
wetlands about 70 ft away from the foundation wall.

There are two pipes leading into the sump both buried under the basement
floor. Only one of them seems to be slowly discharging into the sump.