Joseph Meehan

I had some friends who had a fix for that. They put the rice (or
whatever dry product) in a container that would hold water. Add a block of
dry ice on top and put a non-sealed top on it. After a couple of days the
COČ that flooded the container had killed off any bugs that might have been
in it.

I know it sounds bad, but you just don't get rice or flower or almost
any food without some bugs in it.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
"John Smith" wrote in message
. com...
Carol S. wrote:
Hi,

I had a bag of brown rice in my pantry for a long time (over a year)
that was unopened. I finally decided to try it out, but when I poured
it into a pot, there were little brown bugs crawling around it, and
the rice grains were hollowed out. I threw it out, of course!

I'm pretty sure they were rice weevils, based on a google search. My
question is do I have to throw out everything in my pantry now? I
inspected a few other things and didn't see any signs of the bugs. Could
they have just come along in that bag of rice to begin with, and
then just stayed there? How can they live in a plastic bag for a
year with no air or water?

Thanks, Carol Scheible

Although rare, it's possible that the bugs came with the bag. I once
bought a bag of 50 lb of rice and put it in a closet. Before I had a
chance to open the bag, bugs crawled out of it. For the past 25 years, I
typically buy 100 lb of rice a year. That's the only bag that had
problems.