dicko

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:33:47 -0600, wrote:

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 18:40:18 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Seamus" wrote in message
.com...

But first, I have to get the styrofoam out. I suspect a shop-vac
would work well for this. However, its difficult to pull a shop-vac
around a cramped attic, and the size of the bucket is a limitation.

Is it possible to rent something that is essentially a large shop-vac
with a really long hose, and can have its output put into a set of
large trash bins/bags?

Is there a better way to approach this? Are my fears of poison gas in
a fire actually unwaranted (e.g. should I just put more insulation on
top of the sytrofoam?).

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Seamus

As for removal, call around to the commercial insulators in your area, most
remove as well as install. It may not be worth your time and effort to do it
yourself!
I need to add some insulation to my attic. I want to go with blown in
fiberglass. I can get get a insulation contrator it blown in for less money
than I can buy it!
Greg

This might sound like a joke, but I am serious. Try to find some
local Ebay "power seller" to take it off your hands. They can use it
for packaging. I dont want to even try to imagine how much is in an
attic. I bet it would fill several dumpsters, and just to rent a
dumpster is several hundred dollars per week. Like others said,
unless it really does burn, leave it. Somehow I have a feeling that
removal and disposal could cost more than the new insulation, even if
you do it yourself, because of the disposal costs.

Mark

Several years ago, there was a fire in a local house here where the
elderly owner was somewhat eccentric. He had been taking styrofoam
plastic packing peanuts, whenever he'd receive a package, and throw
them in his attic for insulation.

The fire chief made a comment, something to the effect that he'd never
ever in his career as a fireman, seen a house that went up in flames
as fast as that house did. It was totally destroyed.

So, yes, I think I would find a way to remove it all.

dickm