Jmagerl

If its as light as styrofoam, how about a Toro electric leaf vac. its got
the big bag

"Seamus" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

In what seems very unusal to me, my home has shredded styrofoam in the
attic as insulation.

I've verified its styrofoam- there are some large chunks, and all of
it weighs, acts and burns like sytrofoam.

I'm not happy to have it there- it strikes me as a possible fire
hazzard, especially with possible poison gas emisions in a fire.

I would like to replace this insulation with something more modern,
efficient and safe. As of now, I'm leaning towards rolled out
fiberglass insulation because thats what I have worked with- if
someone could point me to a thread or site with a discussion on the
relative merits of different types, that would be helpfull.

I am planning on installing several skylights, so that might affect
the type of insulation to get.

But first, I have to get the styrofoam out. I suspect a shop-vac
would work well for this. However, its difficult to pull a shop-vac
around a cramped attic, and the size of the bucket is a limitation.

Is it possible to rent something that is essentially a large shop-vac
with a really long hose, and can have its output put into a set of
large trash bins/bags?

Is there a better way to approach this? Are my fears of poison gas in
a fire actually unwaranted (e.g. should I just put more insulation on
top of the sytrofoam?).

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Seamus