David Nugent

Default Bridgeport 2J Head noise

So there I was machining a piece of 304 cres on my Bridgeport to make
a belt tensioning handle for my Heavy 10 lathe because I didn't have
the good sense to use a piece of aluminum. I waS using a 3/4" end
mill, so I was running the mill in the low speed range at 210 rpm.
The head was making a slight knocking sound, not loud enough to be
obvious as I was cutting metal, but noticable as the machine coasted
to a stop after I shut off the motor. The endmill didn't appear to
jump as it cut, so I don't think any gear teeth are missing. However,
after running the mill for about fifteen minutes, the drawbar gets too
hot to touch. I don't have this problem with the mill head running in
the high speed range. Any idea what the source of my trouble is? I
have an operators manual for the machine which contains helpful
exploded views but doesn't really tell me how to take the head apart,
or more importantly, put it back together.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
David