Tim

(AZOTIC) wrote in message ...
Molten magnesium in a air atmosphere is quite exciting to say the least,
the alloy you desire requires smelting the two metals in a oxygen free
enviroment, a bbq will not meet these requirements. I suggest you purchase
the alloy ready made from a metals supplier, far to dangerous to attempt
to cook up some at home without the proper equiptment.

Bah. I have a photo from a friend here showing a pool of shiny metal
inside a crucible inside a furnace, written on the back is "1.5 lbs of
freshly skimmed MagNESIUM (4Al) @ 1250°F" (his capitalization :P ).

I've heard of making magnalium before. I would guess either the
aluminum forms a protective skin, preventing the mag from burning, or
it just can't get enough air to burn particularly hot.

The secret commercially is either a gas or flux cover. The latter
would be a salt 'alloy', such as equal parts sodium and potassium
chloride (can be had at the grocery store as "lite salt"; has to be
fused (mmm, salt ingots!) before use), with other select ingredients
to lower the melting point and improve fluxing action. For gas,
either an inert gas must be used (as lit Mg will continue burning
between two blocks of dry ice quite nicely) or sulfur dioxide works
fine, a bit of elemental sulfur dropped in the crucible holds it I'm
told. Stay out of the fumes...

Tim