AZOTIC

In pyrotechnics we use an alloy of 50:50 magnesium / aluminium called
magnalium, this is a very brittle material that is very useful in fireworks
manufacture. I would like to attempt to manufacture some and wondered what
might the best way to go about it.

My idea is to take a cast iron pot with lid, place equal amounts of metal
within, and then put the pot on an enclosed kettle bbq with a good charcoal
fire built around it. To increase airflow I was thinking perhaps something
along the lines of a leaf blower or hair dryer connected to the bbq air
vent. I'm confident that the metals should mix sufficiently by themselves
assuming they reach melting point. Accuracy is not too important for these
purposes.

Reckon this sounds viable on a backgarden scale with limited budget?
--
Richard H
UKRA#1172 L2 Cert

'We can produce in air sounds as loud as thunder and flashes bright as
lightning'
Roger Bacon

Molten magnesium in a air atmosphere is quite exciting to say the least,
the alloy you desire requires smelting the two metals in a oxygen free
enviroment, a bbq will not meet these requirements. I suggest you purchase
the alloy ready made from a metals supplier, far to dangerous to attempt
to cook up some at home without the proper equiptment.

Best Regards
Tom.