Peter Cherry

I think the mixer points are worth a very close look, probably not the
kitchen one as that should keep the hot and cold seperate right to the
nozzle and any leakage past the valves would come out the spout and
not up the HW pipework... A worn out O ring or housing in the shower
seems favourite at the moment. As another poster has suggested does
flow of water into the tank stop if you turn off the rising main?

Yes, it was the mixer. Its made by Cascade, now called Bristan (or
that's who answers the calls now). You can hear the water going up the
hot pipe when you put your ear next to the thermastatic mixer tap.
Despite changing the thermostatic valve (which Bristan supplied FOC)
the damn thing still leaks into the hot. I can only presume it is the
shower/bath knob that is causing a problem as well. These taps cost
about £120 when I bought them under 3 years ago, not great service.
Tried descaling and cleaning the parts but they still didn't work.
Will put in a separate non-return valve on the hot pipe tobe on the
safe-side when I finally sort it out. Good job the taps came with a 5
year warranty.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Peter