Charles Spitzer

"Bob K 207" wrote in message

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Every power tool I can think of will stop cutting when the body of the
runs
into the side of the stairs. A good circular saw is a good choice; forget
the
recip saw.

You could rough cut it with the cheap circular saw & then finish up with a
flush cutting router bit that has bearing to guide against the lower
riser.

You still have to contend with the "un-cut" section at each end of the
tread.

Sharp chisel & patience could do the end work. How many treads? 12?

since you're covering the treads with flooring, could you pull out the
treads &
rip the nose off on a table saw & re-install?

Bob

rough cut it, then shape using a belt sander. they make sanders that can get
very close to edges (using a very small front roller). be prepared for an
immense amount of dust.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az