Colbyt

"someone" wrote in message

I am thinking to put some 5/16" hardwood floor on my stairs.
I have to cut off the nose from the 1" ply treads in order
to put the hardwood nose on it.

Some web site I visited suggested to cut the nose with a
circular saw. But I did some cutting with a cheap ($40) Sears
Craftsman circular saw before,and I never cut anything straight,
both horizontally and vertically. I wonder if it would make a
difference with a more expensive one. And I would avoid to use
the circular saw if I can.

Would a cheap reuter or recip saw cut the 1" ply nose? I don't
have much experience with wordwork. But I can't find a contractor
just doing that.

Of the tools you mentioned, the circ saw with a rip guide, sharp blade and
slow motion will cut the straightest line. I take it these are open stairs?
I ask because a circ saw is going to stop cutting about 1.25" from a
perpendicular wall or obstruction.

Colbyt