MikeG

In article ,
says...
This is the first time I've tried to spray shellac. It was bullseye, out of
the can, and I cut it with denatured alcohol. I sprayed it, and it looked
ok at first, but as it dried, it seemed to pucker in spots and give me
orange peel. It's acting like I put it on too thick, but when i tried to
lay it on thinner, it didn't seem to be atomizing correctly, and it went on
a bit spotty. I put it on heavier to make it flow, but then it didn't seem
to dry right. What did I do wrong? Not thin enough?

First thing to do is to dump the idea that there is something wrong with
the unit. It'll save you some time.

Next thing to do is to get the viscosity cup recommended by the maker.
Ford, Zhan then contact the maker to get an idea of what should flow out
of the cup and recommended needle/nozzle combination.

What you could be doing wrong could be not spraying the right viscosity
for the needle/nozzle combination, to much air pressure, to little air
pressure, too much air volume, too little air volume, incorrect fluid
flow, needle set too far out from the nozzle, needle set too far into
the nozzle, or any combination of the above.

It's unlikely that even a three pound cut of shellac would need thinning
but with the viscosity cup you will at least have an idea of where to
start. If you know you have the right viscosity and needle/nozzle
combination all you have to do is play with the air volume and fluid
flow and needle set.

The alternative is playing with all the factors in the rather large
number of combinations they present.In other words without at least some
fact based info you are just ****ing in the dark.

--
MikeG
Heirloom Woods