Paul Franklin

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 22:49:15 -0400, "orangetrader"
wrote:

How do you tell if a cable is RG-59, RG-59U or RG-6?

If there an harm if these cables are used together? In other words, if the
able from the outside to the outlet is RG-6 and from the outlet to the VCR
is RG-6 and from VCR to TV is RG-59U, will this cause problems? Is RG-6 the
best? I am not sure what the difference is, but I am getting bad images on
some channels, and wonder if I would be using different cables and if this
can cause problems?

Thanks in advance,

As others have said, a short length of RG-59 should not really cause
problems. RG-6 is preferred for RF applications, and is certainly
better for digital cable and satellite applications. It has lower
losses at high frequencies, and often has better shielding.

If you have poor reception on the same channels on all your sets (if
you have more than one) it may be a problem with the company's feed.
Try connecting your tv directly to the cable after is enters the house
(after the lightning arrester) with a short length of RG-6. If you
have poor reception there, call your provider.

It is common on analog cable systems for signal strenght to vary a
little from channel to channel, so if you have cable problems, or too
many splitters, or old, low frequency splitters, it often shows up
just on some channels. Testing right at service entry eliminates all
those potential causes.

I have also had problems with the cheap, short little patch cables
with push-on connectors.

HTH,

Paul