Paul King

dave wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that the use of creosote for wooden fence
preservative is now illegal. Is this true? The neighbours here are
using the stuff to "do" their fences again - and of course tell me
(again) that this stuff makes the wood last for years. Which is why
they seem to do it every five minute no doubt!

Also they mix in used engine oil - which I know is horrible stuff.
When it rains I can see the rainsdrops turn yellow as they run down
the wood.

Even if it is legal, I wish they would use one of the many
preservatives that are easily obtainable. Of course, that has the
makings of a war - with me telling them what to do to their own fence
(no matter how nicely I put it). Maybe I could have a quiet word with
some "anti-pollution agency"/environ. agency or something?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what anyone on this thread has said
about the pro's and con's of using Creosote. It's use (for your average Joe)
is now illegal and punishable by a hefty fine and/or imprisonment.

It's use (in any quantity) is only available to licencees (and D-I-Y Joe
won't get one). This is partly because of the Nanny state we live in whereby
we have to be protected from ourselves because we can no longer use common
sense. (We can't reed and we can't rite so we'll just splodge it all over
the place with little care for the environment nor our health and safety).

However, there is an almost equivalent product on the market which goes by
the name of Creosate! This *IS* legal, and is the replacement for Creosote.
Whether it preserves as well waits to be seen, but by all accounts it still
stinks to high heaven - and could (just) be the stuff your heighbours are
using. Tread carefully therefore before you shoot yourself in the foot!