Gary Dyrkacz

On 10 Sep 2004 19:27:10 -0700, (raymondj) wrote:

Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences. I am looking for
something where I can get the angle right and won't take forever (like
with a dremel.) I have a bunch of blades to sharpen each year and I
just want to bang them out (and not have to drive to the shop and wait
2 weeks for them to be sharpened.)

I have a Craftsman bench grinder which I have used for years to
sharpen the blades. The angle may vary a bit unless you make yourself
a jig, but worrying about the difference is probably overkill. Just
try and stick to the original angle as best you can. The only thing I
have to really worry about is accidently contacting the second wheel
which I have set up as a buffing wheel. To avoid that, just make sure
to put the grinding wheel on the left side.

I just bought an angle grinder for other reasons and will probably
give that a try for the next sharpening.

Gary Dyrkacz

Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+
http://home.attbi.com/~dyrgcmn/