Greg O

"raymondj" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone use a bench grinder to sharpen lawn mower blades? If so
can you tell me your recommendation and experiences.

I used too run a small engine shop, so I have sharpened a ton of mower
blades.
Yes, a common bench grider will do a good job, but one day I grabed my
4-1/2" DeWalt angle grinder to sharpen a blade and never used the bench
grinder again! Clamp the blade in a bench vice, hold the grinder with both
hands, use the accessory handle, hold the grinder against you stomach for
extra stability, and grind away! I can sharpen blades that look like they
were done on a machine. With a little practice you will get the knack of
holding the grinder so the angle stays constant. Instead of moving the
grinder with my hands I sway back and forth moving my weight from my right
and left foot.
I have had people ask what kind of sharpening machine I use because the
blades look so good!
A good friend, that mows lawns for a living, sharpens blades the same after
watching me do it.
DeWalt 4-1/2" angle grinder, about $90.
Greg