Robert Galloway

There's theory and then there's the real world. The internal resistance
of an auto battery charger is pretty high. A twelve volt potential
should push enough current through something designed for 4.8 volts to
fry the sucker. In the real world, with the setup he describes, while
not a sure bet, is likely to work for a good long time. The internal
resistance of the charger is likely enough higher than the battery pack
the drill came with that both machines (drill and charger) will survive
in good shape.

bob g.

Old Nick wrote:
On 5 Sep 2004 20:24:45 -0700, (William Krems)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Wonder if Robert Graham got the job done he posted question last
January about converting cordless to corded.
I did it today using an old Western Auto 10 amp car battery charger.
I used the tools today (7.2 volt Black and Decker saws that had 2
VersaPak removable batterries each), no problems, also wired a Black
and Decker drill, 4.8 volt with built in battery pack, (removed the
battery pack). Still used the 12 volt setting on the old Western Auto
10 amp charger.

Well. 4.8v mnotor on 12v. We will hear from you again tomorrow?

Simply took cords off of old radio's and stuff opened up the tools and
figured out positive and negative, forgot to mark the other end of the
cord and had to take apart and use meter to get it right.
Works great, got them set up at thier own work bench with the charger
on shelf, can see amp needle on charger, when start drilling or sawing
the needle jumps all the way then settles back to 5 amps, 6 or 7 when
drilling with hard pressure.

I know I am wrong about just about everything. So I
am not going to listen when I am told I am wrong about
the things I know I am right about.