Paul K. Dickman

The best stuff is a contact adhesive called Barge Cement.

This is the stuff shoemakers use to glue new soles on and it is seriously
tough stuff.

I've tried some other brands of contact adhesives with less than stellar
results.
(not to say that some brand isn't as good, just that the ones I used
weren't.)

In a pinch, I used some Gorilla Glue. It is a foaming polyurethane glue sold
to woodworkers.
I wiped a very, very thin layer on both sides of the skive and clamped the
joint over night.

That was a couple years ago, and there is no sign of failing.

Paul K. Dickman

William R. Hopcraft wrote in message ...
I've got to replace the leather drive belt on my old South Bend lathe. I
want to use a skived glue joint for the splice, but am not sure what type

of
glue to use. Any suggestions?