Dave Plowman

Default Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame

In article ,
James W wrote:
I have a deep window frame above my front door. It currently has a
single glazed pane in it. I was wondering whether anyone has had any
experience getting a correct sized double glazed pane made up and
fitting it into the existing frame.

Yup - did this recently.

Are glazing companies willing to make a double glazed pane for this?
And would it be cheap enough to be worthwhile. Also, would the double
glazed pane fit OK into the existing pane? It is deep enough to
accomodate the pane from what I can tell.

Yes - any decent glazier will order up a double glazed panel in any size.
But it can't just be fitted with putty - it needs to be fully sealed
against rain and must be in a flexible seal so when the frame moves
slightly it doesn't get subject to twisting, etc. The glazier will supply
materials and details.

If it's in a rebate it will probably have to be enlarged. If it's got
planted on beading, then this can be changed or moved.

--
*If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn