Mary Fisher

Default Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame

"James W" wrote in message
om...
I have a deep window frame above my front door. It currently has a
single glazed pane in it. I was wondering whether anyone has had any
experience getting a correct sized double glazed pane made up and
fitting it into the existing frame.

Are glazing companies willing to make a double glazed pane for this?
And would it be cheap enough to be worthwhile. Also, would the double
glazed pane fit OK into the existing pane? It is deep enough to
accomodate the pane from what I can tell.

We've double glazed our whole house by getting the glass company to make
factory sealed units to exactly the size we specified. That's thirty five (I
think) units. Spouse fitted them over a couple of years so the cost - which
was VERY low - wasn't felt at all.

They've been perfect in every way. There has been absoutely no misting. They
were easy to fit (he does know what he's doing but with a little care and
intelligence anyone could do it - it's safer than single pane glazing). The
key is accurate measuring. For the largest panes - up to 4' square - it
needed two people because the units are heavy (on two ladders for 1st floor
lights); for others one person inside and one outside was a help but not
absolutely necessary. He did our 1st floor bedroom the week after being
discharged from hospital after a hip replacement.

What I like best is that we retain the timber frames and don't have the
reduced light which is inevitable with plastic frames. The relative cost was
unbelievably low and we were in control at all times. The only disruption
was one pane being out at any one time - at our convenience.

Go for it.

Mary

Thanks in advance

Jim