Jerry Built

Peter Parry wrote:
Asbestos cement sheet often has one smooth side and one closely
dimpled with each "dimple" about 3-4mm in size. The sheet is very
heavy (it's largely cement) and very rigid. It wouldn't usually be
something you could easily take shavings off with a knife.

I know what asbestos cement sheet looks like - this stuff is
only about 1/8" thick, though. The "dimples" could, I suppose,
be a feature of the thick paint covering.

An awful lot of very odd materials were used post war to make
wallboard as import restrictions were still in place and
factories built for war production of things like bakelite
sheet tried to find other materials to make.

Yes, I know... perhaps I'll try heating up a fragment of this
stuff to see what happens. I'm just intrigued to know whether
asbestos (?) sheet was ever used in furniture...

J.B.