Jerry Built

Peter Parry wrote:
Jerry Built wrote:
Could it be asbestos of some kind? The panels of (whatever)
are framed in timber, so contribute little structural strength.

If it is (which isn't likely unless it is a home made item) it
will be asbestos cement

It is not a home-made article, it was purchased from a Dept.
store in 1949. It is rather puzzling. I would like to know
what this stuff is, since I have never heard of such being
used in furniture before. This stuff is quite hard, it is
possible to carve slivers off, which break up to some
extent (like trying to carve solid dry plaster, for instance).
The panels are quite rigid.

J.B.