John Orrett

Default Wiring in a whirlpool bath

Smudger wrote:
"John Orrett" wrote in message
news
Hi all; my missus wants a new bathroom suite, and we are (sorry -
she is) looking at a whirlpool spa type thingy bath. I'm just
wondering about the electricity needed for the pump. The nearest
electricity is next door in my daughter's bedroom through a normal
plug socket. The spec says that it must be protected by a fuse
switch (30 mA) by a 31A or 16A fuse. Furthermore, this circuit must
contain a dual-pole circuit breaker with a contact aperture of at
least 3-mm. The potential equiliser (at least mm squared) is to be
connected to the motor plate.
At this last bit, all I saw was white noise :-). Our local friendly
plumber will hook up the power to the pump but won't fix the wiring.
Question is - is it OK to feed this out of a normal plug socket or
does it need something meatier? I'll be getting a local spark in to
do the job needless to say!
Thanks
John

Hi, no disrespect, but your description of the "spec" makes no sense.
Could you please check it again and correct your post.

1. A fuse switch is not 30mA. Do you mean an RCD?

2. Should that read 32A or 16A fuse?

3. Should "dual pole circuit breaker" be "dual pole isolating
switch" by any chance?

4. Is this an American Spec by any chance?

5. The potential equaliser??? Never heard this expression. Could
it be supplementary bonding earth conductor?

6. At least how many sq mm?

It sounds like a normal 13A plug/socket will not be appropriate.

It sounds like you will need a dedicated radial circuit with a 16A
Circuit Breaker and 30mA RCD (if your consumer unit does not already
have one). In an appropriate place inside the bathroom there should
be a 45A DP Shower pull cord switch with a 3mm contact gap (i.e. the
normal type).

You will probably need to bond exposed metalwork and the pump unit to
the rest of the supplementary bonding in the bathroom with 4mm Sq
earth wire.

If you don't have proper supplementary bonding in the bathroom (taps,
rads, etc) then you need to get that sorted as well.

HTH

Smudger

Hi Smudger, and thanks for the reply. The spec was copied and pasted from a
web page. It looks like the Company is from the Netherlands, and although
the web page was a UK one, that could explain the strange spec. I didn't
realise that there was so much involved. It would seem that a fair bit of
re-wiring would need to be done. As we are re-tiling and fitting a new
shower as well as the bathroom suite, we may be able to cable down the
existing channel from the shower.
Appreciate your help,
Best wishes,
John