Smudger

Default Wiring in a whirlpool bath

"John Orrett" wrote in message
news
Hi all; my missus wants a new bathroom suite, and we are (sorry - she is)
looking at a whirlpool spa type thingy bath. I'm just wondering about the
electricity needed for the pump. The nearest electricity is next door in

my
daughter's bedroom through a normal plug socket. The spec says that it

must
be protected by a fuse switch (30 mA) by a 31A or 16A fuse. Furthermore,
this circuit must contain a dual-pole circuit breaker with a contact
aperture of at least 3-mm. The potential equiliser (at least mm squared)

is
to be connected to the motor plate.
At this last bit, all I saw was white noise :-). Our local friendly

plumber
will hook up the power to the pump but won't fix the wiring.
Question is - is it OK to feed this out of a normal plug socket or does it
need something meatier? I'll be getting a local spark in to do the job
needless to say!
Thanks
John

Hi, no disrespect, but your description of the "spec" makes no sense. Could
you please check it again and correct your post.

1. A fuse switch is not 30mA. Do you mean an RCD?

2. Should that read 32A or 16A fuse?

3. Should "dual pole circuit breaker" be "dual pole isolating switch" by
any chance?

4. Is this an American Spec by any chance?

5. The potential equaliser??? Never heard this expression. Could it be
supplementary bonding earth conductor?

6. At least how many sq mm?

It sounds like a normal 13A plug/socket will not be appropriate.

It sounds like you will need a dedicated radial circuit with a 16A Circuit
Breaker and 30mA RCD (if your consumer unit does not already have one). In
an appropriate place inside the bathroom there should be a 45A DP Shower
pull cord switch with a 3mm contact gap (i.e. the normal type).

You will probably need to bond exposed metalwork and the pump unit to the
rest of the supplementary bonding in the bathroom with 4mm Sq earth wire.

If you don't have proper supplementary bonding in the bathroom (taps, rads,
etc) then you need to get that sorted as well.

HTH

Smudger