N. Thornton

Default Pebble Dashing Technique

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(agent zero) writes:
I've seen lots of threads on pebble dashing but no one so far has
actually said how its done.

Sheet of polythene on the ground under the wall to catch the stones
which don't stick (which is most of them). Bucket of stones under
left arm, small hand spade in right hand (ideally about 4" square,
flat bottomed with lip round 3 sides). Stand, back to the wall, as
close as you can without touching it. Spade goes in bucket and comes
out with stones on it, and you bring your right arm with spade up
quickly to your right shoulder and stop abruptly with the spade
facing the wall. The stones continue to fly just above your
shoulder into the wall, leaving a pattern of stones stuck to the
render which is same size and shape as the spade. Most of the stones
fall away, because they hammered the stone in front into the render
and there was no more exposed render to stick to. You repeat this
over and over, moving along by the width of the spade each time,
and you will then have a line of stones across the render. You will
need to recover the stones from the sheet and refill your bucket
every so often.

Hi

Interesting, I've not seen it done that way before. The way I've seen
is to mix the stones in with the mortar before its applied, and apply
it to the wall trowel by trowel, by just throwing it at the wall, ie
flicking it off the trowel, with no smoothing over at all. Then before
its all dry, get yourself the hose going, with a _very_ gentle spray,
and simply wash over the surface, starting at top and working down.
This washes the cement off the stones and the end result is
pebbledash.

Wonder if there' a third way...

Regards, NT