Default Double-pole single toggle switch vs. 3-way switch?

In alt.engineering.electrical East Coast wrote:
| I have looked in a couple of wiring books and I don't see double-pole
| single toggle switches addressed. What is the difference between a
| Double-pole single toggle switch and a 3-way switch? I see in the
| Leviton catalog these are two different items.

A 3-way is a single pole double throw. It switches one common terminal
between 2 other terminals.

A double pole is like 2 switches latched together, but with separate
wiring circuits. A single throw would just be an on-off for a 2-pole
circuit, such as 240 volts in the US.

| If you have a single light, like in a hallway, and want to be able to
| switch it on and off from two different locations, you use a 3-way
| switch I've been told. How is a double-pole single toggle switch used?

It doesn't have much common use in a home. It could be used to turn
on and off smaller 240 volt loads.