BigWallop

Default Kitchen Electrical Wiring Regulations Advice Please

"DeeBee" wrote in message
snipped

1.. My understanding is that electrical outlet, 13A sockets, must be at
least 300mm from a sink. Is this correct?

It can be directly over the sink if you wish, just as long as it doesn't get splashed with water when your
hands are in it doing the dishes. So YES, it is best to keep live electrical outlets away from where
you're working with water.

2.. I want to put some mains halogen downlighters in a sloping ceiling
which will have insulation behind the plasterboard. Am I right in assuming
that I should create a box around the downlighters, say 100mm around the
light to keep the insulation away from the heat of the lights. The ceiling
is yet to be put up, so this would be easy, but the builder wants to plaster
the ceiling next week.

The only thing that you need to watch out for, is that you don't have anything that will combust if it
reaches a certain temperature close to the fittings. This includes any timber frame, any combustible
paper insulation or linings, Etc.

Any heat building up around the light fittings will also greatly decrease the lamps life expectancy, so
try to keep an air flow around the fittings to keep them as cool as possible. The best way to do this, is
cut holes through the insulation after it has been laid, then allow the heat from the light fittings to
escape into the gap above them. This helps to keep the fittings cool but the rest of the ceiling
insulated.

3.. Are there any regulations concerning placing junction boxes behind a
plastered ceiling? What are the regulations regarding accessibility to the
junction box? I have a lighting junction box connecting three external
lights to an external PIR.

Any electrical fitting with screw terminal (compression type connections) must be allowed access for
maintenance reasons. After a short period of time these types of junction boxes work the connections
loose through heating and cooling, so if they eventually come loose and break the conenction, you're in
the doo doo if have to make repair to them.

Best leave access to the junction box, even if it is sited above a hole for the new light fittings where
it can pulled out and worked on.

4.. We are fitting a built under double oven and ceramic halogen hob. My
question here is how to wire this in. The Oven is rated at 5.18 kW (22A @
230V) and the hob at 5.4kW (23A @ 230V). Currently the MCB for the slot in
cooker is 32A. I will upgrade this to 45A. My idea is to run 10mm cable from
the MCB to the Cooker switch above the counter top, and then run two 6mm
cables from the cooker switch to cooker outlet plates below the counter top.
Is this OK?

One 10 millimeter csa' (cross sectional area) cable is the best for total load you're going to take. The
diversity rule that says, all the hob rings should not all be on at the same time because of their
thermostat controls, and the fact that you're very unlikely to be running both ovens at the same time, all
the time, would, I think, come into play here. So you should be able to use just one 10mm cable fused at
45amps for this type of situation. But if you do want to run more than one cable for this, then take into
consideration the cable grouping rules as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice / guidance gratefully
received

Duncan

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com