Kent Monroe

Default Strange not-quite-240 high-voltage smoke problem... short? circuit breaker?

"gabriel" wrote in message
ervers.com...
Kent Monroe wrote:

This is a thin double 20A breaker.
Small type on the breaker: 2 pole, issue # LK-4137
120/240 VAC type R38 (or it could be A30, A38, R30, cause damn... it's
small print)
E16248 SA LR17830
It's 3/4" thick for the 2 switches, and 4-5/8" wide.

Huh? Is it a breaker with two 20A switches that fit into one slot of the
breaker box? The switches are _not_ tied together, and they do not
trip/turn off and on at the same time, right? This has to be the case if
the breaker is 3/4" thick with two switches on it...

If so, then you do _not_ have a 2-pole breaker (which is normally used
for 220V circuits). You have a compound single-pole breaker.

I confirm that they are _not_ tied together. However, I don't think the
3/4"
size dictates which type it is. For example, see:
http://www.breakerbroker.com/zintwopoltwi.html which says:
Zinsco Two Pole Twin, Separately Switched, R38, vs.
Zinsco Two Pole Twin, (joined), RC38

I'm guessing I have the "R38", or something similar, maybe not even Zinsco
because
I can't see a brand name and will bring a magnifying glass with me next
visit.

Anyway, if this is the case, we have been addressing the problem totally
wrong (so throw out _everything_ that's been said), so please confirm.

--
gabriel

So sorry if I mislead you, but the breaker says "2 pole" so I just repeated
it here.

I'm going to look for a bad neutral, but as my last post says, I'd
appreciate any help how
to go about it. And, I'm interested to know if I can replace the breakers
easily with
some other (better) compatible model, and how to tell...

You guys are being a big help, thanks!
Kent