GFRfan

Default spirit snowthrower

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 17:36:31 GMT, (Tom Miller)
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:01:21 GMT, GFRfan wrote:

| I have a Spirit 8hp 2 stage snowthrower. Menards special. I think it
| is an MTD but can't find any info on the MTD website. I picked up a
| newspaper in it that was under the snow on my neighbors sidewalk. It
| is now jammed between the second stage impellar and the feed chute.
| What I need to know is how do I take the cowling loose so I can get
| the impellars unjambed? Looks to me like I need to take the bolts out
| of the ends of the auger and then I should be able to turn the cowl.
| Any thoughts?
|
| tia

I'm usually able to get the damned things out without disassembling
the machine. Try grabbing the paper with big vice grips or channel
locks and pulling it back out the front. Work it from side to side and
yank it back. Or try poking at it from the top of the impeller chute
with a pry bar. See if you can work the auger and/or impeller back and
forth a little to loosen the paper. Spray the paper with windshield
deicer spray; it will often melt a little and soften up so you can
tear chunks off. I even sawed a piece off once with a coping saw. (Be
sure to disconnect the spark wire first).

Then when you are through, if it's a free shopper paper like the
"Suburbanite" that goes through my snow blower because the dumb ****
who throws it always puts it right in the center of the public
sidewalk instead of on the lawn, be sure to drive over to the
newspaper office and drop the frozen, wet, chewed paper off on the
desk of the editor in chief or, better, the director of circulation.

By the way, this problem is why I stopped doing my neighbors' front
walks. This, and because with one exception they never even noticed
when I did them.

Thanks. I think I'll stop doing the neighbors too. And I think I'll
take your advice and gather the Pennysaver (our version of your
"Suburbanite", I guess, which is now basically wet confetti, and drop
it off in their office.
Sometimes the easiest answers are the most obvious yet most obscure. I
am posting this in hopes that it may help another "poor soul". 8-)
I simply took a sawzall, put and old, very course blade in it and ran
it between the impellar and the cowl and zip, out it came. Man that
paper sure packs hard. The cowl was actually bulging a bit with it in
there.