Drummer of The Vibe

Default How do I stop door from swinging open (or closed)?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message .. .
If the door is set correctly, it will have a slight tendency to swing
closed or open against the wall. Not many people hanging doors today even
know that, let alone know how to achieve it. It appears yours was hung
correctly.
Joseph E. Meehan

How's that Joe? Everything I've ever heard or read about hanging a
door says to keep the hinge side of the frame plumb in all directions.
That should create no tendancy for movement at any door position.
Perhaps you're mistakenly thinking of a refrigerator door's correct
operation? I'm thinking the OP has an out-of-plumb door jamb. The real
way find out is to put a level on it. If it's out slightly in the same
plane as the closed door, it may be corrected by shimming one of the
hinges out. This however could muck with the reveal of the door and
might cause it to bind. If the plumb is out perpendicular to the plane
of the closed door, well, you're looking at rehanging it.

Bobby