Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

Default New Woodburner Regulations

"Capitol" wrote in message
o.uk...
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

I'd suggest to read up about the reasons behind such legislation. Rather
than making up your own.

Are you suggesting that saving a few hundred watts for a few minutes per
month is distinguishable from noise in the 2750 TWh EU electricity
budget?

I'd even agree that lighting is a worthwhile target, but that maybe they
pushed it a few years too early, how many subsidised CFLs lurk in the
backs of cupboards when decent LEDs were only a few years down the track?

I'd always judged LED lamps by the GU10 spotlights that we bought to replace
the tungsten ones in our bathroom and in the kitchen light fitting. They
tend to produce dimmer lighting and in a more restricted angle - definitely
not as good as 60W tungsten bulbs.

Then we bought a few Philips Hue lights. Leaving aside the fact that they
can be adjusted to various colours (we'd probably buy fixed-colour ones when
it came to replace the daylight CFLs that we have through the house) they
are very bright - most impressive. I'm not sure what the equivalent tungsten
wattage is, but I'd estimate somewhere between the equivalent of 60W and
100W, while using 7W of power.

It's a shame that a lot of the smaller bulbs (eg candle) are only available
in screw fittings, which means using a bayonet to screw adaptor (increasing
the length) in an existing light fitting, or else finding a matching screw
fitting that can replace the bayonet ones in a light cluster fitting.