Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default New Woodburner Regulations

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017 08:51:49 +0100, Bill Taylor
wrote:

Properly used, closed wood burners are fairly clean already.
Unfortunately there seems to be a large number of owners who burn wet
fuel and burn with to little air which will make any appliance,
however many regulations ir complies with smoke. The proper approach
to wood burner pollution is to ban them all in any but the smallest
community, they are a completely pointless lifestyle gimmick for most
people.

What would you define as a small community?
20 or so new age traveler types living in Yurts in a Welsh wood or the
typical village and its surrounds of between 1500 to 5000 people that
are dotted around Britain.
I live in one of the latter and the main fuel choice is electric,
bottled gas or oil.
Electric as primary heating is expensive despite what those bordering
on con artists suppliers of German storage heaters say, the equipment
of the latter two all most always needs a source of electric for them
to work so for me I have a wood burner that is not dependent on
electric supplied by overhead lines that are more prone to damage from
storms than underground supplies in most towns and cities.
The wood burner also supplies our hot water and it quite often is used
for a stew or similar meals as well, and most tea and coffee hot water
is heated on it.

I'd be quite annoyed if areas like this came under your "ban" as it
would mean getting in oil or LPG with all the gubbins that involves
and running a generator if the mains fails to keep the controls
working.
Now if you just mean the trendies in Islington and Hoxton who are
putting them in as a feature to show off then I may agree they are an
affectation but I'm still uneasy with the cry" ban it" because people
don't like something that others do. It is heard too often nowadays.
They will go out of fashion quick enough when the cheap labour source
to provide house cleaners dries up post Brexit and the trendies have
to empty their own ash.

G.Harman