Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New Woodburner Regulations

On 20/04/17 00:00, Andrew wrote:
It seems new woodburner regulations may require the complete redesign of
many existing stoves if are to be sold post 2020. See:

http://www.stoveindustryalliance.com...d-air-quality/

This seems to be as radical for these products as the mandating of
condensing boilers was for domestic gas applicances. It will be
interesting to see how the additional costs stack against the real
advantages.

It would seem to favour those manufactures who provide a "trendy" new
design each year, and severely impact those who have produced reliable
and generally well loved and proven "classic" stoves - such as Clearview.

Ironically it does not address any issues associated with open fires -
which are less efficient than even a "poor" stove.

Andrew

Why do my hackles rise when I see *anything* with an "Eco" tag on it?

I had a look at the link provided. It didn't say that much so I went to
http://www.stoveindustryalliance.com/airquality/ where some figures
were provided. Down at the bottom of that page are four histograms (if
you can't read them because they are so small download the pdf) which
provide the "data" the comparisons are based on. What I find interesting
is just where the Ecodesign limit lines are placed. Where the Ecodesign
stoves do better (whatever that may mean) than the open fire and old
stove the limit line is placed above it and below them. Now have a look
at the NOx histogram on the bottom right. The Ecodesign stove is
actually worse than the older stove! So where is the limit line placed?
Above all of them - even the open fire. Anyone know why the limits are
placed where they are? Is there an EC Directive for them?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the latest kerfuffle with diesel
engines to do with high levels of NOx pollution they produce? Lucky we
aren't running cars fuelled by Ecodesign stoves, eh?

--

Jeff