Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless steel, epoxy, and tableware

On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 07:47:46 -0600, Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 18:55:40 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:27:12 -0500, wrote:

On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 16:18:36 -0600, Frnak McKenney
wrote:

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 2:55:59 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote:
wrote:

Has anyone here ever seen this problem? My cousing said it might be
related to washing the knives in a dishwasher, but only about a
quarter of the knives seem to be affected.

Check this site out if you need a high temperature cement.
http://www.sauereisen.com/ceramic-as...product-index/

That's probably a really pricy hi-tech goo.

Don't know about price, but it's been around a long time. I used it
at work in the '70's. Hmmm. 4 oz. for $13 for one type. I remember

That's not bad at all, but was that the price then or now? I figured
it was probably like some of the new epoxies at $200+ per oz.

it being very hard, but was tough, didn't crack even under heat
cycling in a furnace. I'd have to look at the literature to decide if
any of their products would work for the knives. Seems overqualified
for the heat part, don't know about the moisture and adhesion needs.

As an avid (compulsive?) tool user all my life, I tend to opt toward
anything which is more toward the side of user-friendly and ergonomic.
Flexible adhesive gel between the parts of table utensils seem to fit
so that's why I thought about the Goos. Love 'em, I do. I had the
sole of a high-top hiking boot come loose at the toe (5" worth!) once
and it flapped down and bent under on my trek. A piece of string held
it together until I got back to the truck. At home, I rinsed the joint
with water, patted them dry, and left them to dry thoroughly, then
applied some Shoe Goo to the halves, stuck them together, opened them
up to tack them for a minute, then stuck them together and put a spare
patio tile on it. It was good as new later that day and they lasted
several more years. I invested $20 in Plumber's & Shoe Goos plus
E6000 20 or so years ago and saved maybe $1k in replacement parts by
being able to repair the breaks once and for all.

--
In order to become the master, the politician poses as the servant.
--Charles de Gaulle