Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] edhuntress2@gmail.com is offline

Default Modern car paint and rust

On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 7:25:30 PM UTC-5, Christopher Tidy wrote:
Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017 03:43:47 UTC+1 schrieb :

If you want to talk to someone who specializes in this stuff, I may be able to get you some names.

Thanks, Ed. That's a kind offer. Here's the question in a different form. I'm working on a book and I want to know how to get a coating with a similar performance (modern car paint is, as far as I can see, way better than anything I can get in the shop). It doesn't have be a unique or comprehensive answer, but it needs to be a practical and understandable method. Any idea of someone who could help?

Best wishes,

Chris

Sorry for the delay, Chris. I had surgery, and ten days later, my wife had surgery. I haven't been online for a while.

It sounds like you're talking about an aftermarket paint, right? Is it actually for cars, or something else?

And are you thinking of "performance" in terms of rust resistance, adhesion, gloss, or what?

Whenever I have questions like that, I go to DuPont, PPG, or similar companies and explain that I'm in need of an engineer, because I have technical questions. Sometimes customer service will direct me; other times, I have to go to marketing or press relations and explain that I'm writing something about it. That always works, although it can take a little time. Since you're writing a book, you should be able to leap that hurdle.

If you're not comfortable doing that, let me know what info you want and I'll get you some names and contact info. If you'd rather do it my email, the address above is valid (edhuntress2 [at] gmail.com.

Be aware that there are several approaches to protecting steel with aftermarket products: barriers; conversion coatings; and sacrificial coatings (zinc-loaded epoxy, for example). There is a lot of territory to cover.

--
Ed Huntress